Exceptional Real Estate Service Since 2005



BC Raises Homeowner Grant Threshold

If you’re a homeowner, you may be newly eligible for property tax relief – the homeowner grant threshold has been raised to $1.2 million for 2016.

According to the B.C. government, raising the threshold means more than 91 per cent of homes in the province now qualify for a property tax reimbursement of up to $570 on an owner’s principle residence.


Google Map screenshot


The grant threshold was $1.1 million last year. Homes that fall above the new number may still qualify for a partial reimbursement, especially if the owners are low income. For every $1,000 of assessed value above the threshold, the grant is reduced by $5.


An additional grant of up to $275 is available for senior homeowners aged 65 and above, have disabilities, or receive war-veteran allowances. The northern and rural home owner benefit provides an additional $200 property tax relief to those outside of Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley.

That means certain homeowners could qualify to receive back more than $1,000 worth of property taxes.

Additionally, qualified homeowners who are having trouble keeping up with rising property values can defer a portion or all of their property taxes.

The grant is available to both landed immigrants and Canadian citizens who live in B.C.





Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.