Exceptional Real Estate Service Since 2005


B.C. housing demand highest since 2007: Real estate association

The demand for housing in British Columbia is at its strongest since 2007, according to the B.C. Real Estate Association.

In its 2015 second quarter housing forecast, released Monday, the association says residential sales in B.C. are forecast to rise 2.4 per cent this year and 3.9 per cent in 2016.

Meanwhile, residential sales prices are also forecast to shoot up 4.5 per cent this year and another 2.4 per cent next year.


While the projections fall well short of a record-setting 2005 (when 106,300 sales were recorded), it represents the strongest housing demand in the province since 2007.


The forecast was released as housing affordability in Vancouver has dominated headlines and public debate.

Also on Monday, Insights West released a new poll showing 73 per cent of British Columbians support an “Absentee Homeowner Tax” for people who acquire residential properties but don’t live in them.

Last month, real estate marketer Bob Rennie and Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson both publicly supported the idea for a provincial speculation tax targeting investors who sell property shortly after acquiring it for a quick profit.

Approximately 500 people attended a #donthave1million affordable housing rally at the Vancouver Art Gallery on May 24.



The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.